Thursday, August 30, 2018

10 Things To Do For FUN During a High-Risk Pregnancy (If You're Not on Bed Rest)

23 weeks and counting, and this high-risk pregnancy has me really struggling to find ways to feel like myself and not feel like life as I know it is over.

I've always said that I won't be a mom who drops everything she loves when she has kids - and I know I'm too selfish to ever let that happen, but right now I have to do everything I can to keep my baby girl safe inside me.

My husband works swing-shift, and it's hard enough to get time together. Lately when we do, the conversation usually starts like this:

Husband: "What do you want to do tonight, babe?"
Me: "I'm not really sure, what do you want to do?"
Husband: "I can't really think of anything that won't put too much stress on your body."
Me: *huge sigh*

My body is exhausted of resting. My hips are killing me from laying on my side so much. And I'm only halfway through this pregnancy.

I found myself typing into Google: "Things to do for fun when your high-risk" and all I got were huge lists of things I couldn't do. Typical.

SO I have compiled a list of things that WE CAN do during a high-risk pregnancy - given that you're not on bed rest. Of course, everyone of us is different, and for some of these you should probably text your doctor really quick to make sure it's okay in your specific case. I know you have his or her cell number just like I do.

For the record here is a quick cap of things I can't do during my high-risk pregnancy that I usually do for fun:
  1. Swim
  2. Take a bath
  3. Have sex
  4. Drink wine / alcohol (obvious but still worth mentioning)
  5. Over-eat
  6. Exercise
  7. Ride go-carts /  four wheelers
  8. Bowling
  9. Duck hunting

10 Things To Do For FUN During a High-Risk Pregnancy:
  1. Mini Golf - My doc approved for me to go to the driving range with my husband, we both enjoy golfing. But after a while the heat and the big swings had me feeling some pain that scared me. But mini golf is a definite date idea during high-risk pregnancy. The small swings, light walking, and going in the evening as it's cooling down outside makes it a win in my books.
  2. Play Board Games - This isn't something my husband and I have a habit of doing on our own. Some couples do. We used to have friends over for drinking games, but now we're learning to sit at the table and play board games sober. Invite some friends or family over, or stick to the two of you. When you can't have sex, it can be a struggle to find ways to be intimate with your husband. A little one-on-one competition or game of laughter is great way to step away from the electronics and focus on each other.
  3. Paint a Canvas - Everybody loves to paint. I've found myself signing up for Paint 'n' Sip nights and then realizing I can't sip. But canvas's and paints are really cheap and easy to find at Walmart. Don't forget to pick up a small table easel and you'll be all set for your own relaxing paint night at home. Just don't forget to drop the perfectionism when you pick up the paint brush or you'll end up stressing yourself out. Nobody has to see this painting when you're done, just do it to relax, and if you enjoy it, you'll get better in time.
  4. Beach/Lake Day - Lay out, sit in the shade, walk along the shore for a little while, go fishing... If you don't live close to the beach or a lake, maybe take a ride up the closest mountain, to a nearby waterfall, or whatever cool landmark is near your city and just have a picnic and enjoy the view with your significant other, family or friends. It may seem like the last thing you want to do if it's a couple hours away, but if it gets you out of the house and doesn't put stress on your body, just do it or you're going to go crazy this pregnancy.
  5. Shoot Pool / Billiards - This involves a decent amount of bending over, but if you pull up a chair and have no shame, you can do this without putting too much stress on your body and enjoy a night out with the husband like you used to, only a little different. It kind of prepares you for old age together. 
  6. Listen To Live Music - Facebook events are wonderful for finding local live music. Go to the local park, bar or restaurant to hear some live music. Maybe pick a genre or event you wouldn't usually go to like open mic night or bluegrass, you need a little spice in your life right now. Heck, go to karaoke and try doing it sober for once.
  7. Get a Massage / Couples Massage - This can be pricey, but when my husband and I were dating I signed up to be a secret shopper, and we were reimbursed for both of our massages. During this pregnancy he bought a prenatal massage for me early in my second trimester and it was amazing. I wasn't getting any sleep and had tension headaches all day long for about 2 weeks straight, after my massage the headaches and back pain went away. I started sleeping better too, until later in the second trimester when my belly got much bigger - but this was solved with a pregnancy pillow.
  8. Go To the Local Flea or Farmer's Market - Walk at your own pace, quit when you've had enough. Get outside for a while and spend very little money on things that you need or don't need for your little one that's on the way.
  9. Go to a Comedy or Theater Show - Nothing beats a night of hardy laughter. Who needs to drink when you're thoroughly entertained? Find a comedy show or a show at the local theater that sparks your interest. Not only are you supporting your local community, but you're going to have a night out with very little stress.
  10. Google Things To Do In Your City or Towns Nearby - The chamber of commerce in most towns are just now getting with the program and starting to get their websites updated with useful information. If you looked before, there could be something totally new on their website now. I have always loved horses. I just recently moved near a town that hosts annual horse races. When I googled things to do in that town, I was really happily surprised to see that I could go to the track and watch the horses exercise, and they host a National Steeplechase Museum. I would have never known this if I wasn't sitting home, bored out of my mind during my high-risk pregnancy.
Got any other ideas? Leave a comment with some things we could do during our high-risk pregnancies!


No comments: