But as I got older, I realized that not everyone would do the same for me. It became clear that there are so many different variations of friendships... and it's very important to not get them confused.
- Only-Friends-When-We-Hang-Out-With-The-Same-People friend.
- The Only-Friends-When-You're-Doing-Something-Fun friend.
- The Friend-Of-The-Month who's only calling this month because they had a falling out with last month's friend.
- The Only-There-When-I-Need-You friend, who always calls during their break-up, but never answers during yours.
- The Frienemy who will act like your best friend when you're around, and then talk about you behind your back, encourage stories that would ruin your reputation, and feed off of your mistakes.
This is the one to put as top priority above all other friends. This is the one who will surprise you. When you think all of your friends are the same, nowhere to be found, they'll come out of nowhere to save your day.
This is the friend who will leave their house at midnight because they don't want you to be alone.
The friend who doesn't listen to gossip, but waits to hear your side of the story.
The friend who defends you despite of what you have done.
The friend who doesn't JUDGE you.
The friend who LISTENS to you.
This is the friend who always tries to understand, always tells the truth, is always ALWAYS there for you in whatever way they can be. Whether it's calling you as soon as they can, coming over, or shooting you a good luck text.
The friend that can go months without speaking to you, and pick up exactly where it left off.
The friend where you are actually happy for each other in your accomplishments/beauty/luck.
The friend who supports you as much as you support them, trusts you as much as you trust them. You believe in each other, respect each other, and admire each other.
As you get older, your number of True Friends diminish. Your eyes begin to open to the fact that almost every friend is in it for something. If they aren't getting what they want out of the relationship, they'll leave you.
But to have somebody who isn't in it for anything, but is just there for you, always, even with nothing in return - that's rare. That the True Friend. And everyone should have one.