Friday, January 7, 2011

Holla' at ya girl!

Sometimes, the hardest thing in life is being happy for yourself.

or... is that just me?

I think for some people it might just come natural - being proud,
being confident, being okay with getting the good attention.



Don't get me wrong, I am so okay with getting attention.



That's why I wear shirts that say stuff like

I ♥ To Fart



And dress in giant Sumo Wrestler suits and fight people

But I think it's just easier for some of us to feel sorry for ourselves.
Being okay with our weaknesses and what we don't have is more comfortable than being okay with our strengths and what we do have.

I'm not saying that loving to fart is a weakness..

It might be hard to swallow, hard to admit, but most of us like keeping the emphasis on the bad, the sad and the ugly. It can be uncomfortable being happy for ourselves, and sharing our success stories with others.
Others might get their feelings hurt if we are proud of ourselves, and happy with everything we have. We are not confident enough to risk being egotistical and obnoxious.

But the truth is, with the more confidence we have in ourselves, the more okay we will be with both our strengths and weaknesses. And sometimes your confidence will inspire confidence among others, and your success stories will inspire others to do the same.
"Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous? Actually, who are you not to be? You are a child of God. Your playing small does not serve the world. There's nothing enlightened about shrinking so that other people won't feel insecure around you. We are all meant to shine, as children do. We were born to make manifest the glory of God that is within us. It's not just in some of us; it's in everyone. And as we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same. As we're liberated from our own fear, our presence automatically liberates others."

-Marianne Williamson

Take for example my mom, who started blogging a few years ago on blogspot and turned her blog into her own website: PlanetPookie.com

She's the first person I know to have started a blog. She's kept it up the same from the very beginning. No matter how many people viewed the blog, no matter how many people commented, no matter how many people follow.. She does it, because it makes her happy. And she's darn good at it!

Now she's got a ton of people subscribed to her blog, a ton of daily readers. And just about every time I go out, somebody mentions one of her recent blog posts.
She's always had enough confidence in herself and in what she was doing to not quit.

Me? I quit. I started blogging years ago and quit after so long without any new readers. It felt like only my family was reading, and I thought nothing I wrote was interesting anyway. A while later I picked it back up again, thinking I'd start a video blog! But I did two of those and quit.

So now I'm back, with my mom as my inspiration. I post just as often as I have something to write. I say whatever is on my mind. And if people don't care, they don't have to read it. It doesn't bother me anymore if someone doesn't want to comment on my blog post, or if nobody wants to read it. It's here for me.

And my mom's confidence inspired my confidence. My mom's success story inspired my success story.

Nahh I still don't have 1,273 followers.
BUT I have 1,273 views! and 17 followers.


AND yesterday, I was Editor's Pick for Bloggers.com!
MY blog was the very first one you'd see when you visited the website!

So as a special thanks to my mommy, I would like to re-direct everyone who reads this post to
PlanetPookie.com.

Written by the woman I just heard in the kitchen say oh so calmly, "Ooh, the towel's on fire."


So please, Go holla' at ya girl!!

5 comments:

AmberLaShell said...

I am the same way, I blog for me.. but even i have to admit, having lots of followers and such is very seductive, but I still just write things i want to write, no matter how perverse of stupid it is. great job!


amberlashell.com

Patti said...

I was reading this to Eva, and she said, "well... i like Marjie's blog!"

And I do to, I check it everyday!!

Ashalee said...

awesome on being featured on blogger.com!!

I write for me as well. This is my way of expressing myself.

I am an attention...lover though, who doesn't love comments and followers? Thanks for following me! Love reading your blog!

Poof said...

I'm proud of you and glad that you love blogging! Being a mom is even way better than being a blogger, you just wait! Thanks for the compliments (& the redirects). PS I'm so glad the house didn't burn down, but with Sparky around.....

~Ms. Connie said...

Holla'! (well done!)