Monday, November 29, 2010

Break a heart, Roll out of town.

I’ve been surrounded by the majestic skyscrapers. I’ve been surrounded by the scenic fields. I’ve spent a few weeks living on the enticing bayside. Mexico, New York, Tennessee, California – I’ve visited the most diverse places, and spent time in sundry communities.
I’ve experienced life in a stable childhood home, just outside of a small town. I’ve experienced life in a place of my own, renting in the big city.
From the big cities to the small towns, the backwoods to the bayside communities… at one time or another, I’ve laid there dreaming of my future in all those different places. I saw the whole thing - me, with a thriving career, the best and most successful friends, and of course, an amazing house or apartment that just completes the picture for whatever region I choose.
A different time, a different place, a different dream. I can’t commit. There’s so much life to experience. There’s so much Earth to see. So many people to meet.

So here is the new dream:

a 1974 Airstream International.



I just thought for a few minutes how awesome airstreams are. I wonder how much they cost? So I googled them.
For $1200, I could live anywhere. No property taxes, no rent, no commitment.
Oh, what? I feel like living in New York today? OKAY!
Wait, I miss the open fields and big houses? TENNESSEE here I come!!
What’s that? I’m cold? Alright, I’m headed for the border.
At any time. I’ve got my truck. I’ll have my home. And I can just go. It took every ounce of rationality I have in my brain to convince me not to press the “Place Bid” option on ebay. I was so . close. I was convinced that I could make it. It's affordable; though once I buy it I’ll be broke. I even came up with a plan to park it in different parking lots every night, so I could continue my education here at USC.
But that’s insane. I’m one, molecular step away from being that crazy - wild - daring. UGH, where did this sanity come from?? This ounce of “rationality.” I don’t know but I wish it would go away! I could be on my way to Cheyenne, Wyoming right now. Or anywhere, on a good ol’ truth seeking journey, like Julia Roberts in my currently favorite movie Eat, Pray, Love. This is one of my favorite quotes from the movie (though everything said was worth writing down):
“In the end, I've come to believe in something I call "The Physics of the Quest." A force in nature governed by laws as real as the laws of gravity. The rule of Quest Physics goes something like this: If you're brave enough to leave behind everything familiar and comforting, which can be anything from your house to bitter, old resentments, and set out on a truth-seeking journey, either externally or internally, and if you are truly willing to regard everything that happens to you on that journey as a clue and if you accept everyone you meet along the way as a teacher and if you are prepared, most of all, to face and forgive some very difficult realities about yourself, then the truth will not be withheld from you.”
--------
A truth-seeking journey. No distractions, nothing from the past, nothing in preparation for the future. Doesn't it sound amazing?
Anyway. If you still haven't gotten me a Christmas present, I mean, here's an idea!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You completed some good points there. I did a search on the theme and found the majority of persons will have the same opinion with your blog..

Anonymous said...

I have wanted to post something like this on my website and this gave me an idea. Cheers.